Anavar (Oxandrolone) Steroid Profile
Anavar (Oxandrolone) is a dihydrotestosterone- derived anabolic steroid and was first developed in 1962. Anavar was released as a prescription medicine because of its successful medical reports, as it was well-tolerated by many patients. It has been touted as a medical treatment for muscular degenerative conditions for over 30 years. Athletes and bodybuilders also favor Anavar for enhanced stamina and muscle strength. It is also prescribed to patients post-surgery for accelerating the recovery process .
Chemical Characteristics of Anavar:
The chemical structure of Anavar is composed of C17 Alpha Alkylation (methyl group attached to the 17th position of carbon). This chemical structure enables Anavar to pass through the liver after oral ingestion and become more resistant against liver metabolism. Another thing that makes Anavar more unique among other anabolic steroids is the presence of another modification of the first cycloalkane ring at the 2nd position of carbon, which is later replaced with an oxygen atom in the ring structure. This modification of Anavar increases its anabolic strength.
Anavar carries an anabolic rating of 322-600, which is 3 times the strength of testosterone. However, its androgenic rating is only 24. Unlike testosterone, Anavar does not aromatize into estrogen and has great oral bioavailability .
Benefits of Anavar:
In bodybuilding, Anavar has been shown to:
• Increase stamina and athletic performance.
• Increase muscle strength after a strenuous workout and weight-lifting.
• Not increase water retention in muscles.
• Not cause any fluctuations in weight.
Medical benefits of Anavar include:
• An alternative for the natural loss of estrogen and androgen hormones.
• Decrease in total body fat and visceral fat
• Increased nitrogen retention
• Increased protein synthesis in the skeletal muscle.
• Increased red cell count .
How Does Anavar Work?
The following are three ways by which Anavar works to increase the muscle mass of bodybuilders:
1. Increasing insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1).
2. Induction of protein synthesis in the body.
3. Up-regulation of the androgen receptor in the skeletal muscle.
Improvements in the effects of resistance training and a 44% increase in protein synthesis have also been associated with Anavar’s oral ingestion.
Dosage and Administration:
Anavar is an oral steroid that is absorbed across the gastrointestinal tract. The treatment duration with Anavar will depend on the patient’s response to the drug and the appearance of any adverse effects. The recommended dosage of Anavar is mentioned below:
1. Males: The standard dosage is 40+ mg for athletes and bodybuilders, but many athletes find 60+ mg of Anavar to be more efficient for athletic enhancement. Standard Anavar cycles for men are complete in 6-8 weeks.
2. Females: Sticking to a lower dose of Anavar is suitable for females to prevent any side effects. An Anavar dose of 5-10 mg is safe. If a 10 mg dose is well-tolerated, some females can also try a dose of 15 mg. 20mg dose per day will increase the risk of virilization. Standard Anavar cycles for women are completed within 6-8 weeks.
Who Should Not Take Anavar?
• Renal dysfunction
• Any male suspected with a history of male breast cancer or prostate cancer.
Side Effects of Anavar (Oxandrolone):
The following are some possible side effects of Anavar steroid:
1. Androgenic: As Anavar carries a low androgenic activity, it can still cause side effects to those sensitive to androgenic side effects. Common androgenic side effects include body hair growth, male pattern baldness, acne, and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) .
2. Hepatotoxicity: Excessive amounts of Anavar have been associated with liver toxicity, hepatic dysfunction, and cholestatic jaundice.
3. Estrogenic: Estrogenic side effects are completely unseen in Anavar because it does not get aromatized into estrogen.
4. Cardiovascular: Decrease in HDL cholesterol levels and increase in LDL cholesterol are the known cardiovascular side effects of excessive Anavar doses.
1. Enna SJ, Bylund DB. Oxandrolone. XPharm Compr Pharmacol Ref 2007:1–2. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-008055232-3.62339-6.
2. Schroeder ET, Zheng L, Yarasheski KE, Qian D, Stewart Y, Flores C, et al. Treatment with oxandrolone and the durability of effects in older men. J Appl Physiol 2004;96:1055–62. https://doi.org/10.1152/japplphysiol.00808.2003.
3. Hart DW, Wolf SE, Ramzy PI, Chinkes DL, Beauford RB, Ferrando AA, et al. Anabolic effects of oxandrolone after severe burn. Ann Surg 2001;233:556–64. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-200104000-00012.
4. Papadimitriou A., Preece M.A., Rolland-Cachera M.F., Stanhope R. The Anabolic Steroid Oxandrolone Increases Muscle Mass in Prepubertal Boys with Constitutional Delay of Growth. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2001;14:725–8. https://doi.org/doi:10.1515/JPEM.2001.14.6.725.